Tel : +33 (0) 2 32 57 72 10

The Roman Church path

A little bit of history…
It’s in the sixth century that Saint Samson, Welsh monk, bishop of Dol, settled on the banks of Normandy to bring the word of God.
 

He founded many parishes and founded the monastery in 541 Pental, the territory of Saint Samson de la Roque, our neighboring county town.

The Saint-Georges Church Fiquefleur, the oldest in the township.

The church of Saint Georges de Fiquefleur, shaded by an ancient yew in the shape of a cross, appears for the first time in history during the first half of the eleventh century, when Robert Bertrand said the Tort, one of the great feudal lords of the ducal Normandy, and his wife gave to the Priory of Beaumont en Auge …

Conteville: Father François Gilles Rever and Rever apple

Conteville had a priest whose influence was great in the parish and the department: Father François Gilles Rever of Bauvez, Dol born April 8, 1753, died November 12, 1828. Priest and a man of science, archeology enthusiast, he was elected to the legislature in 1791 and very nearly went to the guillotine, but his parishioners did released him  in 1793. Did you know that there is a variety of apple which owes its name? A monument near the church, was erected in his honor by his friends and his students…

Architectural gems …

 

The church of Saint Germain de Manneville-la-Raoult consists of a nave, a transept single south transept and a rectangular choir retreat, it kept the imprint of its original Romanesque by the beauty of its portal the eleventh century.

 

 

 

The church of Saint Pierre Saint Pierre du Val the old town of Saint Pierre Châtel consists of a nave and a rectangular choir twelfth century shouldered foothills and several glazes…

 

The church of Saint Melaine Berville sur Mer is a building which consistis of two rectangular shaped. The chancel was built in the thirteenth century, divided into three breakthroughs of four bays, the nave was made in the early fourteenth  precedhttp://www.beuzeville-tourisme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/FOULBEC-1.jpged by a square tower built in 1856 in a gothic style…

The church of Saint Martin de Foulbec has a portal (XI), which is preceded by a porch framing the sixteenth century decorated with an ornate architecture of angels’ heads and a stage where people wanted see a flight to Egypt. In 1800, a landslide was found between the roots of yew, a sarcophagus containing a large skeleton, probably the remains of the founder of the church…

 

Church Martainville under the protection of St. Peter, preceded by a square tower, has retained a large flat buttress. The nave is Romanesque twelfth and its northern wall was completely rebuilt in 1546…

The Bishop of Lisieux had the patronage of the church of Saint-Denis Vannecrocq. The construction probably dates from the second half of the twelfth century…

 

The Church of Our Lady of Torpt dates from the eleventh century. It has preserved from this that time several arched windows, flat buttresses, corbels cornice of the old choir and a low tower bolster crowned by an octagonal spire …

The Church of St. John Baptist de Boulleville was under the patronage of the abbot of Saint-Pierre de Préaux by a  gift of William the Conqueror in 1040 …

Crosses and baptismal attest the antiquity sites

The church of Saint-Pierre de La Lande Saint-Léger built near an ancient site where tiles and roman foundations were discovered dating back to the XIIth century  suggests its western portal surmounted by an arched window . The choir is built of flint embedded in the mortar, bays and fostered buttresses. There is an archaic cross as you leave the village.

À Découvrir
aux alentours

Honfleur comme nul port ailleurs
Qualité tourisme Office de tourisme classé catégorie 2 Label tourisme et handicap Offices de tourisme de France Atout France
Haut de page